Event and Dessert Table Styling by Amy Atlas
Lawyer turned dessert table designer and event planner extraordinaire, Amy Atlas creates stylish and sweet displays that quickly become the highlight to any fete’. I find these images so inspiring! (photos from Amy Atlas)
This particular display was for a corporate event but I can see it working for a sophisticated birthday party or wedding with a black / white color theme. Some reasons this display looks so fabulous and some keys to creating an impactful dessert display for yourself are listed below:
- Keep everything (frosting, vases, flowers and linens for example,) strictly within the selected color theme
- Consider the background. Where is the table going to be placed and how will the background coordinate? Consider adding a strip of wallpaper or painted background to a temporary plywood backdrop or framed art piece for example. Or try lanterns or an ornate mirror in the background for optimal photo ops.
- Add dimension and think layers. Place items behind and in front of each other rather than on one boring line and remember to think 3dimensionally by varying the heights to add interest.
- Vary texture. Just like when creating an outfit, mixing textures and patterns, creates visual interest. Here you see a contrast between smooth frosting with bumpy, rough-edged pretzels and intricately patterned chocolates with dotted dice chocolates.
- Desserts should be different sizes. Notice how the large modern patterned cake contrasts with the smaller bite-sized pieces.
Have any other tips to creating a memorable dessert table? Is anyone else inspired to look for excuses to create their own dessert table?