Back-to-school season is exciting for a whole host of reasons: parents get their time back, kids see their school friends again, everyone buys something new, and you look forward to a brand new start. Why not mark the occasion with a back-to-school bash they’ll never forget? That’s what we at Fab Kids did in NYC with our friends and followers! Once families were settled into their new routines, we gathered everyone up at the NY Kids Club which offered their fun padded, play space, arts and crafts room and incredibly helpful staff. And we got GEEKY! Here are 8 tips on how to host the best back-to-school bash that your friends have ever seen!
- Send a themed invite. Choose a scholastic image that you want to carry throughout your party. For instance, our rainbow colored pencils from the invite were found as cookies at the event on a rainbow colored dessert table. The rainbow color theme was also found in the photo booth garlands, numbers, alphabets and balloons throughout the space. Invite text included phrases with lots of alliteration such as, “brainiac book swap, dorky dance-a-thon, and NYC nerds.” Make it fun, descriptive, and enticing! It sets the tone! Get your guests excited!
- Dress up! Fab Kids events always have a fun fashion theme. For this one, we encouraged everyone to get geeky by posting inspiration photos in our social media and eblasts. (search #fab_nerd on IG if you want to see) And we offered prizes for ‘best dressed.’ I love having dress-up themes for events becomes they become an automatic ice breaker on-site. Plus it encourages creativity and whimsy from all the guests making the event something special to look forward to. Plus the pictures… can we say, ‘Instagram-able?’
- Host a book swap. I’m a big fan of re-cycling and re-using what you have. And I believe one person’s trash can be another person’s treasure. We encouraged each Brainiac to bring in a book they’ve outgrown or gotten bored of and swap it for another gently used book. We actually had so many to giveaway from our own bookshelf that each child walked away with 2 new books! The book swap had the additional side effect of adding a fun community feel to the event.
- Prepare arts and crafts for the whole family to try. For our themed activity, the little ones created masterpieces on composition books provided by one of our sponsors, Ba Ba Bling. I provided alphabet stickers, scholastic-looking, scrapbook paper, and school stickers for the little hands to decorate with. The older kids enjoyed making bead bracelets and necklaces with colorful string and alphabet beads. Parents created mock certificates, filling in the space for their children’s “most likely to____”award, all of which became fun photo props.
- Offer smart snacks and sweets. For desserts think nerds, dum dum lollipops, smarties, gummy brains and cupcakes topped with nerd glasses. For water find the brand Smart Water. And for snacks you could offer alphabet crackers and dip, Smart Food popcorn, pretzels or cereal shaped as letters, or any small snack stuffed into pocket protectors! B Lee Events did a wonderful job providing and presenting creative themed options such as these. And they were such a pleasure to work with -so professional, cheery, and full of amazing ideas! I highly recommend them!
- Prepare photo props. With fashions this smart, your guests will be studying each other! Our guests definitely got an A+ when it came to getting dressed to impress! Fab kids and fab parents, for sure! For your party, gather props that you already have around the house and offer them to guests to try on! I brought ties, bow ties, a calculator, a ruler, school bus toys, nerd glasses and a giant inflatable #2 pencil. ..yes I had all of that around the house lol. What can I say? This is the 3rd back-to-school nerdy NY party that I’ve hosted! See here for 2015 and 2014.
- Dance the day away! We called ours a “dorky dance-a-thon”, pumped up the music and let everyone shake it out in the colorful, play space that was NY Kids Club. Kids danced on giant trampolines, snapped their suspenders, and busted a move with balloons, in the air waving around like they just don’t care! If you wanted, you could have a leader teach some simple, nerdy dance moves for the kids to follow along to Simon Says style to add to the theme or make that an entirely separate game altogether.
- Giveaway goodies. I like to always send my guests home with a little something to remember the event by. This event came fully sponsored so our guests walked away with tons of amazing items worth more than 12x the price of their event ticket. (free event planning consultation from B. Lee Events, $50 off a NY Kids Club new class enrollment and a free PJ party, $42 worth of customized Mabels Labels, exclusive offers to get onto Little Spoon’s organic meal delivery service waitlist, trendy buttons from Kidpik, $50 off new Usborne and More books, Shopkins themed lip balms from Moose Toys, discounted Meisterdish offers, and more)! But for your party it could be as simple as sending guests home with the remaining items from the snack and dessert bar in cute themed bags. My daughter decorated our goody bags with alphabet stickers easily converting it from a plain purple bag to a themed one!
Thank you to everyone who came out and helped make this party such a BLAST! I had so much fun seeing you get down in your geekiest gear. Thank you to all the event sponsors who helped make this happen! See below for details! And see our FB page for the full album of event photos.
Venue and event staff- NY Kids Club Battery Park City
Mocktails and tastings by Little Spoon
Smart snacks and sweet table by B. Lee Events
Colored pencil cookies by Baked By Tal
Giveaway prize package worth $50 from Lucky & Me
Designer nerdy tees and composition book craft by Ba Ba Bling Kids
Customized name labels for each guest from Mabels Labels
Stickers and free book offer by Usborne and More
Moose Toys Shopkins lip balms
50% off Meisterdish meal delivery kit
Jand G Handmade for the lovely back-to-school themed hair clip awarded to the female winner of the “best dressed” title)