Hauntoween Review and Top Tips
We love celebrating Halloween-do you? We kicked it off this season with a media preview of Hauntoween (in Hidden Hills, CA). And WOW was it spooktacular! If you follow us on Instagram, you know we are crazy about going to ALL the popups, so trust us when we say this one is GOOD. In fact, I dare say it was the perfect, family-friendly, way to celebrate Halloween. This interactive environment was created by Experiential Supply Co who also created the hugely popular, equally instaworthy and eye-popping, “Sugar Rush” popup years ago in the same location. If you’re familiar with that popup, you’ll understandingly be so excited to experience the same level of grandiose displays and over-the-top thematic environment again!
📍 6100 Topanga Canyon Blvd. Woodland Hills, CA (where these pics were from)
📍101 Crawfords Corner Road, Holmdel, NJ (They also have another NJ location)
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
- over 200,000 sq. ft. of incredibly decorated, outdoor space, with wow-worthy halloween installations everywhere you look
- Picturesque photo opps (and I mean, Disney style sets) at every corner
- Theatrical moments with roaming costumed actors (they’re not there to scare you but rather make you laugh and smile)
- Complimentary face-painting! And hair color spraying! See important tip below on that!
- Bubbling cauldron science experiments
- Halloween sand art necklace making
- Green screen, broomstick flying special effects
- A pumpkin: shaped bouncy house, patch and carving station
- Free rides including: a merry go round, a kiddie car ride, and a mini coaster
- Food trucks, and alcohol + treat stations (purchase at an additional price)
- Carnival games, a hay stack mountain, and glow-in-the-dark neighborhoods
- Trick-or-treating throughout!
- Buy tickets as far in advance as you can to ensure you get the dates you want and they don’t have on-site ticket purchasing options. tickets start at $40 and are all- inclusive of the rides, games, activities, green screens , trick or treating, and face +hair painting. WORTH IT!
- Parking is free and easily accessible as this (HIdden Hills) venue is at a mall. Park off the entrance at Erwin otherwise you’ll have to trek all around the massive popup to find the entrance.
- We stayed for a full 3 hours to fully take advantage of ALL the activations, eat and to get all the photo opps but most people would only need about an hour or a little more.
- Children under 2 are free. And it is super family-friendly event where you don’t have to worry about it being too scary and there is lots of entertainment for the littles! It is also stroller-friendly.
- Food and drink including alcoholic beverages are available on site but ONLY with cards, not cash. There are food trucks and picnic tables at the end of the experience and drink and treat vendors throughout.
- FIND THE FACE PAINTING station FIRST! That way, all your pictures throughout has you in full costume. We unfortunately only found the face painting booth at the end of the night so I am here to alert everyone that it is available and complimentary with your ticket purchase. They have a couple experts on-site to help transform your costume to the next level. Take advantage! The one at the Hidden Hills venue was easily missed as it is behind the vintage cop car and beside the happy parents area. You are able to backtrack your steps at this popup (unlike many others in NYC where you are only allowed to traverse in one direction). So don’t worry about having to skip some displays on the way there. You can always retrace your steps and head back to whatever you missed after your face is painted.
- The most Instagramable spot is the pumpkin tunnel. I suggest you head there immediately after getting your face painted in order to hopefully get there before all the crowds do. You’ll have better light to shoot with at the earlier part of the period too resulting in more photos without extraneous people, and better lit shots.
- If you have kids that you want to photograph, make sure to entice them with the reward of endless rides (which are included in your experience). Get all your important photo opps done first, and then reward them with the time of their lives at the end of the path where all the rides, games and food trucks are.
- There are porta potty booths throughout in case of emergency but I highly recommend you remember to use the bathroom before arriving as these are never ideal.
- Pets are allowed so if you bring them, make sure to get them in costume!
See my Instagram reels here and here to see more!
And SEND this to someone who would love this!